Often fitness equipment can be intimidating and complicated to operate. The fitness center will offer easy to operate equipment and a coach to encourage people on their fitness journey. The fitness center will also include:
- A Yoga studio and large group space for Zumba, Pilates and Strength/Balance classes is also in the plan.
- The 56’ x 32’ pool will be the perfect place for aquatic classes, “water walking” and personal swim time.
- Following a workout, the reward will be relaxing in a 9’x 13’ whirlpool.
The goal is to offer affordable memberships so people can maintain balance and strength. Exercise is great medicine for controlling chronic disease management.
- 86 Million Americans have pre-diabetes- 10% know they have it. Diet/exercise can reduce risk of developing diabetes by 60% with 30 minutes of exercise 5 times a week.
- 80% of heart disease and strokes can be prevented through physical activity and nutrition.
- Falls cause 90% of hip fractures, ER visits and death. One in three people over 65 will suffer a fall in any one given year.
Working on balance/strength is vital at any level of ability!
The total cost of this new fitness center with the pool will be $3.5 million. Shorehaven believes so strongly in the health and welfare of our lake country community that we are willing to invest $2 million in this program. So that we may improve the health of the lake country senior community, our goal is to raise $1.5 million through pledges and gifts by Fall of 2016, allowing us to complete the fitness center by Fall of 2017.
All gifts at the following levels will be recognized on the Funds for Fitness display located in the Fitness Center lobby.
Marathon $ 25,000
Medalist $ 10,000
Cross Trainer $ 5,000
Classic $ 2,500
Aerobic $ 1,000
Funds For Fitness Committee Members: Front Row – Left to Right: Jacky Morgan, Co-Chair, Joan (Jo)Brown, Co-Chair, Lee Hayden, Betty Reul. Back Row-Left to Right: Liz Mueller, Martha Eckstaedt, Mary Jo O’Malley, CEO Ed Somers, John Koehn, Sarah Williams-Berg, Sue Dorn, Mac Dorn, Norman Eckstaedt, Holly Tunak.